OUR OFFICIAL WEBSITE: https://dsgamemaker.online - ONLINE

WARNING! YOU WILL BE BANNED WITHOUT WARNING PERMENANTLY FOR SPAMMING THE FORUM WITH NON-DSGM RELATED TOPICS & POSTS! - FULLY ENFORCED!!!

NOTICE: ALL members that have NOT logged in once since their activation within 5 days have been and will be deleted!!! LAST UPDATED: 5-1-2022

NOTICE: I will NOT be sending anymore emails confirming your account being activated.. Try to log in and see if your account was activated yet..

ALL accounts MUST be Admin activated due to the server we are on! - More info in the announcements section

Please read announcements section of the forum upon logging in to stay up to date

Side note: Just a reminder, 4.9 and 5.12 are 2 totally different programs. You cannot use 1 app to load projects from the other.

Help with installing DS Game Maker

Forum, Website and VM Installation Support only
JoelB2011
Registered member
Registered member

Help with installing DS Game Maker

Post by JoelB2011 »

Greetings, I am new here. I was very interested in creating games for DS Game Maker, since the interface is like Game Maker and I decided to make games for Nintendo DS as well. But how do I get DS Game Maker to work properly and compile well? I saw that a virtual machine would be required but my computer is very old and I doubt that I can run a virtual machine for the program to work, I tried to do it by putting an old version of Devkitpro 1.5.0 and it does not compile, my operating system is Windows 7 of 64 bits. And which version of DS Game Maker is better? 4.9 or 5.12? I would appreciate your help.
Ruffsta
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Help with installing DS Game Maker

Post by Ruffsta »

Welcome to our little community!

As far as versions go.. That's up to each individual. I think there are more 5.12 users than 4.9 users, but it helps to play around with both versions to make a final personal preferred version. I personally use 4.9.. I never got into 5.12 - maybe one day I will.

In your case the ORIGINAL separate versions would work on your pc.. but now they are obsolete because they each require to connect to a server that no longer exist...So, maybe it's time to upgrade your pc? if they did, then this whole VM thing would never have been made. This whole VM thing was to bring back both versions.. however the only way to bypass the required "connect to server" for them to work and be totally free was to put them in VM environment - where it dummies the required server connection.

I'll ask James to look at this post.. In the meantime, maybe DDD will answer your question - Just be patient for a reply from 1 or the other.
DS Games:
BananaCraze / MasterMind / Rock,Paper, Scissors

*strictly a 4.9 user
JoelB2011
Registered member
Registered member

Post by JoelB2011 »

Ruffsta wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:28 pm Welcome to our little community!

As far as versions go.. That's up to each individual. I think there are more 5.12 users than 4.9 users, but it helps to play around with both versions to make a final personal preferred version. I personally use 4.9.. I never got into 5.12 - maybe one day I will.

In your case the ORIGINAL separate versions would work on your pc.. but now they are obsolete because they each require to connect to a server that no longer exist...So, maybe it's time to upgrade your pc? if they did, then this whole VM thing would never have been made. This whole VM thing was to bring back both versions.. however the only way to bypass the required "connect to server" for them to work and be totally free was to put them in VM environment - where it dummies the required server connection.

I'll ask James to look at this post.. In the meantime, maybe DDD will answer your question - Just be patient for a reply from 1 or the other.
Hello, thank you for answering me. I will be waiting for your answer, because the truth is this program in my opinion is very good.
imadedsgamemaker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by imadedsgamemaker »

because the truth is this program in my opinion is very good
Thank you!
but now they are obsolete because they each require to connect to a server that no longer exist... however the only way to bypass the required "connect to server" for them to work and be totally free was to put them in VM environment - where it dummies the required server connection
This is 100% the case, great explanation
So, maybe it's time to upgrade your pc?
This is the right answer; the VM is the way that "just works" (and pretty much always works)
DigitalDesignDude
Appreciated Member
Appreciated Member

Post by DigitalDesignDude »

JoelB2011 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:35 pm which version of DS Game Maker is better? 4.9 or 5.12?
I feel it depends on the types of games you want to make. For more information on DSGM 4 and DSGM 5's differences please see the below topic where I posted about some of their features:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=92&p=348&i=1

JoelB2011 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:35 pm I doubt that I can run a virtual machine for the program to work, I tried to do it by putting an old version of Devkitpro 1.5.0 and it does not compile, my operating system is Windows 7 of 64 bits.
According to the below article on "Requirements for Virtual Box" windows 7 should be able to run a virtual machine.
VirtualBox can run on many flavors of Windows. It supports 32- and 64-bit versions of Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8, as well as 32-bit versions of Windows XP.
https://smallbusiness.chron.com/require ... 65504.html

But if you think your computer is not powerful enough for it, you can still attempt to install a version of DSGM along with all its dependent software and libraries. There are a few installation guides on the web that might still work but you'll likely be stuck with just the free versions of DSGM.

Below are some installation guides I know of, but you'll likely have to track down some of the correct software dependencies if they're not still available. To save yourself from possible frustration I would recommend the Virtual Machine installation instructions provided on the DSGM Fansite (link for that also below).

DS Game Maker 5 Install Instructions from DSGM's Help Files
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Ehow DSGM Install Instructions
https://www.wikihow.com/Make-Your-Own-Nintendo-DS-Games

DS Game Maker: Installations + Patchs + Examples & More
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVkvjUSGzQM

DS Game Maker Virtual Machine Edition Install Instructions
https://dsgamemaker.jada.io/vmrelease.html
Multimedia Developer & Designer and Former DSGM 5.12 User

Created DS Games: BioDie, Fishing the Deep

Email notifications not currently supported on this forum.
Discord: DDesignDude#0055
Ruffsta
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ruffsta »

Again, Those stand alone exe's will NOT work, they are obsolete... As mentioned, they require a server connection. Even if one did get the stand alone exe's to work, you would be limited to 3 rooms and the palib logo.
DS Games:
BananaCraze / MasterMind / Rock,Paper, Scissors

*strictly a 4.9 user