OUR OFFICIAL WEBSITE: https://dsgamemaker.online - ONLINE

WARNING! YOU WILL BE BANNED WITHOUT WARNING PERMENANTLY FOR SPAMMING THE FORUM WITH NON-DSGM RELATED TOPICS & POSTS! - FULLY ENFORCED!!!

NOTICE: ALL members that have NOT logged in once since their activation within 5 days have been and will be deleted!!! LAST UPDATED: 5-1-2022

NOTICE: I will NOT be sending anymore emails confirming your account being activated.. Try to log in and see if your account was activated yet..

ALL accounts MUST be Admin activated due to the server we are on! - More info in the announcements section

Please read announcements section of the forum upon logging in to stay up to date

Side note: Just a reminder, 4.9 and 5.12 are 2 totally different programs. You cannot use 1 app to load projects from the other.

Running DSGM roms on hacked DSi

Discussions and support SPECIFICALLY for version 5.12 only
HitCoder

Running DSGM roms on hacked DSi

Post by HitCoder »

Hello DSGM fan forum.

I've been aware of DSGM for a long time but never was able to use it back then, last year I tried again and found it would not run on Windows 10 so left it. But recently I stumbled across the new info detailing how to use the VM and have been dabbling in the programs today.

For background, I have a Nintendo DSi, which I have installed Unlaunch, HiyaCFW, and TwilightMenu++ on. This is the device I am trying to run compiled homebrew on.

I've compiled some of the example projects to test them; Top Down Shooting, Rotation, and I also tried the 4.9 Drag and Drop project.

First, I tested Top Down Shooting. Running this from TwilightMenu++ gives me a "Guru Meditation Error". Setting the rom to use direct boot results in a blank screen. Attempting to run the Top Down shooting rom from Unlaunch also results in a blank screen. I wondered if I was unable to run DSGM roms on my current setup.

I then tried using 4.9 and compiled the Drag and Drop project, and put it on my DSi's SD card in the roms folder. From TwilightMenu++, i have the same problems as I did with Top Down Shooting. However, if I run the rom from unlaunch, it loads perfectly fine and extremely fast.

Lastly, I tried compiling the Rotation ("Rotation Needs Pro.dsgm") project to a rom, and I got the same results with this as I did with 4.9's Drag and Drop.

So, I'm not sure why TwilightMenu++ has issues with all of them, I'm hoping people can give insight into that.

On the other hand, I'm trying to diagnose exactly why Top Down Shooting will not run at all. I'll add any extra findings to this thread.

I posted under DSGM 5.12 because I'm more interested in resolving the issue for that version than I am for 4.9, as 5.12 is "newer".

In addition, I read on GBATemp that another user had the same issue to some extent, and someone replied that it is because DSGM uses NitroFS. that thread is here https://gbatemp.net/threads/ds-game-mak ... nu.559028/

Sorry that this post was so long. Thank you for reading and I'd appreciate any help figuring out what is going on here.
Hobbyist game developer & final year CompSci student in the UK
DigitalDesignDude
Appreciated Member
Appreciated Member

Re: Running DSGM roms on hacked DSi

Post by DigitalDesignDude »

I also having been getting the black screen problem using an r4 gold Flash card with my DS lite and 3DS.

It uses the regular r4 menu, YS menu and MoonshellV2.

You can hear more on that from this posts I made in the “DS Flashcard Recommendations” Topic:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=38

I don’t know why it occurs, but if it has something to do with NitroFS, I think you may be able to disable that through the “game settings” menu in version 5.12. I don’t think you’ll be able to have any music then though, if I’m not mistaken or confusing NitroFS with something else. Can’t check DSGM right now to be certain.

Can you share me some of your complied files? I should only need two .nds file, one from DSGM 4.9 and 5.12.

Just want to test if the problem occurs with my r4 too. My other flash card, Acekard has no issues running any DSGM complied files.
Multimedia Developer & Designer and Former DSGM 5.12 User

Created DS Games: BioDie, Fishing the Deep

Email notifications not currently supported on this forum.
Discord: DDesignDude#0055
Ruffsta
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ruffsta »

i informed James of this topic.. maybe he will have some input for you soon.. and i happy to see DDD was able to jump in rather quickly to try and help you.. good job DDD! ty
DS Games:
BananaCraze / MasterMind / Rock,Paper, Scissors

*strictly a 4.9 user
HitCoder

Post by HitCoder »

@DDD
I just used some of the example projects provided with the software.
After some more testing it seems that the roms that don't launch correctly at all, have this problem due to using sound in the games. So, it very much seems linked to NitroFM. Hopefully there's a way around this. If you want to try out the .nds roms i compiled you can grab them from this zip here https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pfxhVT ... sp=sharing

@Ruffsta Thank you for informing James, hopefully he can provide some insight.
I'll see if i can figure anything else out myself haha

// == EDIT ============= //
I updated my version of TWiLightMenu++ and now I can run the Drag and Drop rom, but the other two still do not load correctly. With this in mind, it seems that 4.9 roms run fine through TWiLightMenu++ (when NitroFS is not used)
I'll test some other settings and see what happens
imadedsgamemaker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by imadedsgamemaker »

This is probably due to NitroFS; disabling it will break MP3s I imagine but not sound effects

I haven't used any other 'loaders' (like TWiLightMenu++); the games always worked fine for me from whatever cart firmware I used.
HitCoder

Post by HitCoder »

Thanks James!

Yeah, I disabled NitroFS on the Top Down Shooter example, and with Direct Boot on, and mode set to DS Mode and not DSi Mode it loads perfectly.

It appears NitroFS is incompatible with the loaders I have on my DSi. Considering DSi consoles with HiyaCFW/Unlaunch/TWiLightMenu++ have become extremely common on the homebrew scene I think finding a workaround for music without NitroFS would be a good idea.