OUR OFFICIAL WEBSITE: https://dsgamemaker.online - ONLINE

WARNING! YOU WILL BE BANNED WITHOUT WARNING PERMENANTLY FOR SPAMMING THE FORUM WITH NON-DSGM RELATED TOPICS & POSTS! - FULLY ENFORCED!!!

NOTICE: ALL members that have NOT logged in once since their activation within 5 days have been and will be deleted!!! LAST UPDATED: 5-1-2022

NOTICE: I will NOT be sending anymore emails confirming your account being activated.. Try to log in and see if your account was activated yet..

ALL accounts MUST be Admin activated due to the server we are on! - More info in the announcements section

Please read announcements section of the forum upon logging in to stay up to date

Side note: Just a reminder, 4.9 and 5.12 are 2 totally different programs. You cannot use 1 app to load projects from the other.

Any other users using 4.9?

Discussions and support SPECIFICALLY for version 4.9 only
Ruffsta
Site Admin
Site Admin

Any other users using 4.9?

Post by Ruffsta »

are there any other users other than myself using 4.9?
DS Games:
BananaCraze / MasterMind / Rock,Paper, Scissors

*strictly a 4.9 user
Jdulay

Re: Any other users using 4.9?

Post by Jdulay »

I'm using 5.12. Is there a document anywhere that explains the differences and benefits to using one version over the other?
Ruffsta
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ruffsta »

you can try reading this:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=40

as well as the manuals on the website..
DS Games:

*strictly a 4.9 user
DigitalDesignDude
Appreciated Member
Appreciated Member

Post by DigitalDesignDude »

Jdulay wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:15 am I'm using 5.12. Is there a document anywhere that explains the differences and benefits to using one version over the other?
As Ruffsta mentioned, you can compare the 4.0 and 5.0 DSGM manuals from the DS Game Maker Fan site. Other than that, I would say the main differences between DSGM 4.9 and DSGM 5.12 are the following:

DSGM 4.9 Features
  • Almost entirely limited to drag and drop visual coding blocks. While you can open the project file (.xds) in notepad and edit the game's code that way, it's more like re-arranging code blocks than it is like actually coding with a code language like C.
  • Each Game level (aka rooms in DSGM) has all its events and logic defined in a single script. Meaning there's really no way to organize and section off your code blocks other than by using comments and so you'll have to scroll through them all repeatedly for games that require a lot of logic/code blocks.
  • Sharing projects with others requires you to send them a folder containing the project file (.xds) and all art assets the game uses.

DSGM 5.12 Features
  • Supports drag and drop visual coding and actual coding with the coding languages DBAS (Dynamic Basic) and C.
  • Is more like Yo Yo's Game Maker Software which has a similar interface and also supports reusable game objects.
  • Suports reusable game objects like enemies, NPCs, and more so that you don't have to duplicate their code every time you have multiple identical games object in your game level. (i.e DSGM 5.12 uses Object-Oriented Programming)
  • Sharing projects with others requires you to just send them the DSGM 5.12 project file (.dsgm) which automatically contains everything needed.

In terms of which software is easier and requires less effort to work with, I would say it depends on the type of game you want to make and which interface you prefer.

I would say DSGM 5 is ideal for developing larger games like RPGs, Platformers, Top-Down Shooters, and other games that take advantage of reusable game characters, objects, and code scripts.

DSGM 4 on the other hand, is suitable for simpler games like "Tic-Tac-Toe", "Rock Paper Scissors" and point-and-click games since your game logic for each game screen/level is defined all on one script (or page of code blocks). So you'll want to keep that script as short/simple as possible so that it doesn't become overwhelming to scroll through or difficult to re-arrange code blocks in.

That's not to say you can't make more complex games in DSGM 4, it just may take more work depending on what you want to accomplish.

Arguably one of DSGM 4's advantages over DSGM 5 is that you are for the most part restricted to coding blocks and simpler games.

If I had to host a workshop (which is something that I occasionally do in real life) for developing DS games, I would choose to use DSGM 4 for that advantage. It prevents beginner game devs from making their first game too complex and allows me to help them more easily since all their logic is defined in one place so there's less searching and there's no code writing typos since there's no code to actually type.
Multimedia Developer & Designer and Former DSGM 5.12 User

Created DS Games: BioDie, Fishing the Deep

Email notifications not currently supported on this forum.
Discord: DDesignDude#0055
Ruffsta
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ruffsta »

DigitalDesignDude wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:17 pm
DSGM 4 on the other hand, is suitable for simpler games like "Tic-Tac-Toe", "Rock Paper Scissors" and point-and-click games since your game logic for each game screen/level is defined all on one script (or page of code blocks). So you'll want to keep that script as short/simple as possible so that it doesn't become overwhelming to scroll through or difficult to re-arrange code blocks in.

That's why i personally chose and stuck with 4.9.. I didn't and still don't want to make complicated games. I never had any intensions of making large games.. It's just not my thing personally... But that's just me. So I personally could not help with 5.12 in any shape or form. To top it off, i'm more of a simple game designer when it comes to DSGM.. All of my games has always had and will always have an actual coder to make them work.. I can do certain things on my own, but to have a fully completed game - I can't. So, I basically don't try to make anymore games currently. ALTHOUGH I do have a few already fully designed and rather have them finished before I even bother creating new stuff..

See, I create stuff with vb 6.0.. For example my "BananaCraze" - is a re-creation of the PC version I created for my kids years ago.. Then they got a ds and so I wanted to re-create my pc games to DS format, but I didn't do it alone - The design I did, some of the coding in DSGM 4.9 I did.. but I didn't complete the game all by myself.. So, i'm probably the last guy that can actually help anyone with DSGM.
DS Games:

*strictly a 4.9 user