OUR OFFICIAL WEBSITE: https://dsgamemaker.online - ONLINE

WARNING! YOU WILL BE BANNED WITHOUT WARNING PERMENANTLY FOR SPAMMING THE FORUM WITH NON-DSGM RELATED TOPICS & POSTS! - FULLY ENFORCED!!!

NOTICE: ALL members that have NOT logged in once since their activation within 5 days have been and will be deleted!!! LAST UPDATED: 5-1-2022

NOTICE: I will NOT be sending anymore emails confirming your account being activated.. Try to log in and see if your account was activated yet..

ALL accounts MUST be Admin activated due to the server we are on! - More info in the announcements section

Please read announcements section of the forum upon logging in to stay up to date

Side note: Just a reminder, 4.9 and 5.12 are 2 totally different programs. You cannot use 1 app to load projects from the other.

Grand Touring

Specifically 5.12 works in progress
SWEET_TOOTH

Grand Touring

Post by SWEET_TOOTH »

Basically working on a gran turismo 2D clone. For now making acceleration and driving mechanics. I have some experience with gamemaker 8 and 6 years of experience with gamemaker:studio. I still struggle a lot with this. Would like to see more documentation or code in action... Anyway, the plan is to get player and some AI cars to race in circuits. There is an example with saving and loading which is great, but I hope It works the same way on 5.12 version. Maybe someone could help me figure out how to use PA_Sin and PA_Cos functions on Float variables?

VERSION: alpha testing phase

GAMEPLAY Screenshots:

Game Cover:
Last edited by SWEET_TOOTH on Sat Oct 08, 2022 3:23 pm, edited 19 times in total.
Ruffsta
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Grand Touring 2D

Post by Ruffsta »

cool.. but the images are not working..
DS Games:
BananaCraze / MasterMind / Rock,Paper, Scissors

*strictly a 4.9 user
SWEET_TOOTH

Post by SWEET_TOOTH »

Well, they are working, only 1 sprite and 1 background (edited with that blue color) to match 256x256 image dimmentions. Otherwise I get graphical errors. So far everything works as it should.
Ruffsta
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ruffsta »

i meant the screen shots you posted above..
DS Games:
BananaCraze / MasterMind / Rock,Paper, Scissors

*strictly a 4.9 user
SWEET_TOOTH

Post by SWEET_TOOTH »

Ruffsta wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:41 pm i meant the screen shots you posted above..
I fixed it! Take a look ;)
DigitalDesignDude
Appreciated Member
Appreciated Member

Re: Grand Touring

Post by DigitalDesignDude »

Maybe someone could help me figure out how to use PA_Sin and PA_Cos functions on Float variables?
If you haven't already, you can check out the DSGM 5.12 post dicussing Cos and Sin function. I have an example of using them posted in that topic that you can download.

Link to the post:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=52
Multimedia Developer & Designer and Former DSGM 5.12 User

Created DS Games: BioDie, Fishing the Deep

Email notifications not currently supported on this forum.
Discord: DDesignDude#0055
SWEET_TOOTH

Post by SWEET_TOOTH »

DigitalDesignDude wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:00 am
Maybe someone could help me figure out how to use PA_Sin and PA_Cos functions on Float variables?
If you haven't already, you can check out the DSGM 5.12 post dicussing Cos and Sin function. I have an example of using them posted in that topic that you can download.

Link to the post:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=52
Yeah I got it done using precise float variables because I really needed it tp be accurate... Anyway I would rly need a tool to calculate how much DS ram is used... I dont want to rewrite half oc code bcs of it missing
DigitalDesignDude
Appreciated Member
Appreciated Member

Post by DigitalDesignDude »

SWEET_TOOTH wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:48 am Anyway I would rly need a tool to calculate how much DS ram is used... I dont want to rewrite half oc code bcs of it missing
Wish I knew of a way to find that out. I typically just playtest my game until I get the below message stating I ran out of Vram and then I adjust my game to use fewer room objects or less intensive code.

OutOfVramMessage.png
OutOfVramMessage.png (5.94 KiB) Viewed 2303 times

It's not an ideal workflow, but here are some performance restrictions to know that might apply to your game.

Notable DSGM 5.12 Performance Restrictions
  • An array only applies for the first 128 game objects in a room. (If you have more than 128 objects expect glitches)
  • If you're using rotation, only 32 objects can exist in a room without problems.
  • Game objects can often cause graphical glitches if they are deleted while animating or while collided with another game object.
  • Swapping an object's sprite is more process intensive than switching its frame (I learned that by accident by crashing my game when 3 objects changed sprites at the same time)
  • 1024x768 is the largest room size that still allows for a functional collision map
Multimedia Developer & Designer and Former DSGM 5.12 User

Created DS Games: BioDie, Fishing the Deep

Email notifications not currently supported on this forum.
Discord: DDesignDude#0055
SWEET_TOOTH

Post by SWEET_TOOTH »

DigitalDesignDude wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:51 am
SWEET_TOOTH wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:48 am Anyway I would rly need a tool to calculate how much DS ram is used... I dont want to rewrite half oc code bcs of it missing
Wish I knew of a way to find that out. I typically just playtest my game until I get the below message stating I ran out of Vram and then I adjust my game to use fewer room objects or less intensive code.

OutOfVramMessage.png

It's not an ideal workflow, but here are some performance restrictions to know that might apply to your game.

Notable DSGM 5.12 Performance Restrictions
  • An array only applies for the first 128 game objects in a room. (If you have more than 128 objects expect glitches)
  • If you're using rotation, only 32 objects can exist in a room without problems.
  • Game objects can often cause graphical glitches if they are deleted while animating or while collided with another game object.
  • Swapping an object's sprite is more process intensive than switching its frame (I learned that by accident by crashing my game when 3 objects changed sprites at the same time)
  • 1024x768 is the largest room size that still allows for a functional collision map
These are really good advices, but damn... It's restrictive as hell. I really need to find a way to have bigger maps with collision. For now my game has like 30 objects and a very very big map like 4000x3000 pixels and still runs fine 60fps even after collisions... Let's talk someday so we both can take a peek into it.